Monday, December 1, 2008

dressing up the usual

Tonight I decided to do potatoes, seitan stakes, and asparagus.
I started but cutting and boiling the potatoes. While they were doing their thing I lightly sauteed about ten chopped cloves of garlic in olive oil and set aside 3/4 of the garlic just before it browned. After removing the ends I added about 20 pieces of asparagus and let it go on lo-medium heat for approx. minutes. The only seasoning I used was a little kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. In another skillet I heated a tablespoon of earth balance with a tablespoon of olive oil. Then after alight flour dusting I placed four 1/4" seitan steaks in the pan until lightly browned on each side then increased the heat a bit. When it started to sizzle I hit it with a few tablespoons of cooking wine. Then after about three minutes added two tablespoons of capers. Then the heat goes off for both the seitan and the asparagus. The potatoes were drained, mashed with soymilk, the rest of the sauteed garlic, earth balance, kosher salt, fresh pepper and finished with truffle oil. It only took about an hour start to finish.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

Hi, wanted to tell you that I made the left-over veggie pot-pie with sage gravy and biscuit topping. It was GREAT! Thanks for the info...
V